Sloth (Japanese:スロウス, Surōsu) was a Homunculus initially created by Edward Elric and his brother Alphonse in an attempt to transmute their deceased mother Trisha back to life.
In this storyline, Sloth was created when the Elric brothers failed to transmute their late mother Trisha back to life. She was found and recruited by Dante, the main villain of the anime, and later enrolled as King Bradley's personal secretary under the alias of Juliet Douglas. Sloth is not lazy but rather apathetic and almost emotionless, another reading of her Deadly Sin. She has the power to transform partially or entirely into water, which comes in handy in both battle, capture and spying, and seems to hold a high position in the homunculi's hierarchy.
Sloth is plagued by Trisha's memories and strives to prove that she is different from her model by killing the Elric brothers, as no woman could kill her own children. She also wants to become human and developps a motherly relationship with Wrath's anime counterpart. After she managed to neutralise the Elrics and had Wrath kill Lust (who sided with them) she gets weakened by Wrath, who accidentally absorbed Trisha's remains, enabling Edward Elric to kill her by turning her body to ethanol.
- All of Sloth's "clothes" appear to be nothing more than an extent of her watery powers, as she is able to transform outfits along with her body at will.
- Though limited and not as prominent as Envy, Sloth has been shown to use her water composition to alter her appearance, such as hair color, eye color, and skin color
- She is paired with Wrath and the two of them receive entirely opposite approaches from the alchemists who created them: Izumi ultimately embraces Wrath as the child she bore that died. However, Edward refuses to consider Sloth as his mother to the point of saying Homunculi don't have souls, even though Al does and Sloth, to her own hatred, does as well.
- Sloth's Ouroboros tattoo is located in the same spot as Izumi's flamel tattoo; above her left breast. This may symbolize how Sloth and Izumi are similar, both being Wrath's "mother".
- Sloth's resolve to kill the Elric Brothers might be viewed as a representation of her sin, as she sees killing the Elric Brothers as the easy way to deal with being tormented with Trisha Elric's memories; on a similar note, she uses her powers in a sluggish manner, often using one arm to battle while the rest of her stands in a distance.