Mewtwo (ミュウツー Mewtwo) is a Psychic-type Legendary Pokémon. Giovanni hired scientists from Cinnabar Island to create it. It is the final boss in Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs. Right after that, it gains levels of power, forcing the player to fight it twice. It later rescues Rand from a different dimension.
Mewtwo is based loosely off of Mew with feline features. Its body is purple and it has three fingers on each hand. Mewtwo has a faint purple Aura emerging from it at full power.
Mewtwo is highly adept at using its Psychic powers, displaying telekinesis and telepathy as well. It uses it's telepathy to communicate with humans and translate the Pokémon language. It is able to Fly and erase people's memories as seen in Mewtwo Strikes Back.
Mewtwo's name comes from the word 'Mew', which is like a cat meowing, and 'two' because it's a clone of Mew. It is based on a DNA scientific cat.
- Although it is a clone of Mew, it comes before Mew in the Pokédex.
- Mewtwo was created from one of Mew's cells.
- Mewtwo is the only Pokémon thus far to be created as a result of cloning, but not the only one to be created scientifically. The only other Pokémon to be created scientifically are Castform, Porygon, Porygon2, and Porygon Z.
- Other Pokémon that's existance is aided by science are fossil Pokémon and Genesect.
- Mewtwo is the only Legendary Pokémon that can be caught in the exact same place in every generation.
- Mew and Mewtwo's character designs were based on Giygas (His form in Mother), the most frequent final boss and major antagonist of the EarthBound series, of which Ninten, Ness and Lucas are the protagonists, appearing since Mother.
- Mewtwo originally had the highest base stat total, being 680. It was joined by other Legendary Pokémon after Generation 1, but was finally surpassed by Arceus in Generation IV.
- The title "Mewtwo Strikes Back!" has a small reference to the title of the Japanese version of EarthBound which is "MOTHER 2: Gyiyg Strikes Back!". However, this may be a more likely referance to Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
- Mewtwo is compatible with almost every TM.
- There was a rumor of a Mewthree, but it was revealed that it was just Mewtwo in armor.
- Mewtwo is playable in Super Smash Bros. Melee, but didn't appear in the sequel Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Instead, he's replaced with Lucario.